After the fires (in 1865 and 1871), the building was reconstructed by raising the auditorium and the stage, the paint shop's pavilion was added, the portico was extended and the outside was decorated with paintings. The reconstruction of 1865 was led by Karl Lüdecke and the reconstruction of 1871-1872 by Karl Schmidt. In 1871, sculptures of muses made of artificial sandstone were also erected on the roof edge (nowadays, there are casts of lost originals made in the early 21st century). In 1954-1956 the southern part of the building was extended. Thorough modernization began in 1997 and was completed in 2006.